When it comes to creating your own online course, the number one question I hear over and over again—not only from on their way-to-be course creators but even from those who already run an online course business–is this: “How do I find a good idea to create my own online course?”
What they are really saying, of course, is, “How do I find an idea that will sell?” Because who wants to spend days or weeks or more planning, developing, and launching an online course only to hear crickets, right? (I’m guessing not you!) You want to know you’ll have at least some measure of success.
You see, overthink it, doesn’t move the needle. The answer is simple. Just give your audience what they are asking for.
9 ways to find killer ideas for your next online course
1. Check out the competition. What are they talking about? What are they creating? If you serve a similar audience, then what sells for them will very likely sell for you. Now, before you break out the “But it’s already been done!” line, keep this in mind: There are no two course creators, coaches, or online entrepreneurs are alike. You may create a similar online course, but your voice, experience and process, teaching style, and personality are all very different. No one else is you, and for your (future) students, YOUR STORY and you are the things they will resonate with.
2. Pay attention to the people you want to work with. What questions do they ask in private groups, in your social media platforms, and elsewhere? What posts are they reading on your blog (check your Google Analytic stats), or which podcast episodes have the highest amount of listeners? These are all valuable sources of information about exactly what they need and want, which will help you find a profitable idea and create your own online course.
3. Ask. Now, if you’re still not sure what your people are looking for? Ask. Reach out to at least 20 of your ideal clients and ask them about their struggles; what keeps them away from the success they are dreaming of, and even what they’ve tried so far to solve these challenges.
4. Check the bestsellers list. Go to Amazon and research which books in your niche are outperforming others? These are the ones that offer answers your clients are seeking. Flip through the table of contents and read the online reviews to dig deep into the topics that really resonate with your audience.
5. Read the FAQs. Check the frequently asked questions section on competitor blogs or in Facebook groups. Watch Q&A Live Videos they’re hosting. Also, check blogs for “Start Here” and “Quick-start” pages. The most common questions and concerns are addressed in those sessions.
6. Review the available resources. Which are the most common resources your colleagues and competitors are recommending? There are often questions surrounding the use of software and other tools, which can be great ideas for an online course.
7. Check your email. If you’ve been in business for more than a few months, chances are you receive questions from friends, clients, and even strangers daily. What are they asking about? Look for common themes and trends.
8. Revisit your keyword research. Review the terms and phrases that your community most frequently searches on, and use them as a basis for your research.
9. Check your search terms. Google Webmaster Tools allows you to check which words are sending visitors to your website. Since people often search on questions (“how to do something” or “how to start something”), this can be a rich source of ideas.
Create an online course that delivers specific results
It’s true: Ideas are everywhere. Your potential members & students share them with you every day if you just know where to look. So don’t let your insecurities hold you back. Create the online course they are asking you for and use your own experience to teach how you got where you are now because most probably, your audience is where you were before.
Listen – I KNOW that you have big, bold, brilliant ideas that can change thousands of lives. And if you’re like most entrepreneurs who are in that “I-want-to-build-a-Beyoncé-level-business-but-don’t-know-how” stage, you’re probably lying awake at night asking yourself…
„How the heck do I get this thing off the ground?!“ Or „Why would anyone ever buy from ME?!“ Even that imposter syndrome alone is enough to make anyone say “um no thanks” to going all-in on the online entrepreneur life.
Meanwhile, those who you look up to are out there crushing it, making millions, and doing work they love every single day.
The only difference between THEM and YOU is that they tapped into the knowledge, experience, skills, or passion they ALREADY had and figured out how to turn that into an online course business that creates a real impact for their audience and themselves.
By creating an online course or coaching program that delivers a specific result to a specific set of people.
Now, can you imagine how your life could look like if you knew how to tap into what makes you unique and turn that into an irresistible offer that people are lining up to buy?
What if you could create a serious impact just by being you?
I know it may sound like one of those big, sexy internet promises, but I’m telling you, it’s TOTALLY possible!
In fact, you can sell your course or a program before you even create it.
You read that right. This is actually the best way to validate it. Because who wants to waste 6 months creating something no one will buy?!
In the last few weeks, I actually worked on creating my irresistible offer for my new program. Yep. Just the offer, the sales funnel, and the outline, and I already got a few peeps who said “yes”. Isn’t that awesome?
How would you like to be able to do the same?
The Course Creators Bootcamp
Here’s the thing…
Over the last 2 years, I’ve tried several big-name programs with the promise of having a great program finished (that people will eagerly buy), once I finish them. But the truth is, although I’ve done all the work, I offer it to people, I focus on all the things they said I should… none of these programs actually helped me move the needle and finally create my own online course.
Let me be straight with you… I love and respect all of these people and their programs, but there were so many missing pieces and gaps, so if you’re just starting out, it can’t work.
Well, in September last year everything changed …
There was this thing, a Bootcamp… a really affordable one that pop-up into my world. It was just $37, and the promise was to “create an online course that SELLS ITSELF – no matter your niche and even if you’re just getting started… Now, of course, I said yes, and ll be grateful forever for making that decision.
Not only I created the program I was dreaming of for so long, but now I have a few members already in it… and this is just the beginning.
But none of this could have been possible without my 2 amazing coaches who helped me make that happen (Jill and Josh Stanton from Screw The Nine To Five). During their LIVE 5 Day Course Creators Bootcamp, they hand over the 11 secret ingredients to creating an online course or coaching program that sells like crazy. (*no joke)
I’m talking every single detail—from the top to the buy button!
I went through this Bootcamp in September last year, and now I’m doing it again. Because every time you go through something, you are a different person, so you’ll discover every time something you probably have missed. And the best part: Jill And Josh just opened the doors to the Bootcamp for another round.
If you’re ready to kick the inaction to the curb and finally unlock your full potential and turn it into an offer that has people saying ‘TAKE MY MONEY’….
And you know you’ve been put here to do MORE than stay in a soul-sucking 9-to-5, or scroll through Instagram having serious FOMO as you watch other course creators crush it while you struggle to make a sale… or worse… can’t even get this program done because of don’t-have-time, I’m-stuck or where-should-I-start?…
Then join us for the Course Creators Bootcamp and get ready to kiss those feelings of overwhelm, confusion, and WTF-ness buh-bye for good.
Oh… I almost forgot… once you join through one of the links here, just send a screenshot of the receipt and send it to email@example.com, and you’ll get my ‚Inner Circle’ treatment in addition, at no cost.
You’ll get a special extra 30 min. 1-1 call with me to go over your Blueprint to remove any stumbling block that may come while working on it, and we’ll have our private group and work together every day of the Bootcamp, so you too can finally create your own online course or program.
Hint: this is in addition to Jill & Josh’s coaching and Q&As… 😲
NOTE: I’m a proud affiliate of the Course Creators Bootcamp and truly believe in the experience and coaching you will receive if you choose to join. It also means that I will receive a commission if you do join through my link. However, because I care about your success, I only ever recommend people, products, and programs that I have used or believe in, and the Course Creators Bootcamp is no exception.